Mar 23, 2013

G is for Goat

by Patricia Polacco

I instantly recognized the illustrator this time, when my toddler found this book on the library shelf. So I brought it home mostly for my own interest, as she hasn't been able to sit through the whole thing. We get to about letter H with her before she wants a different book. I assumed from the cover that the alphabet would be illustrated with different animals, or things on the farm, but instead the book is all about goats! It's awfully adorable. Uses the alphabet letters to illustrate everything from what names goats have (billy, nanny, kid etc) to what they like to eat, how they behave, their usefulness, their physical characteristics and so forth. I was wondering what Z would be for and the last few pages let me know: V is for vet, we think something's wrong- image showing a concerned girl hugging her very pregnant goat- W is for wait, X is for exciting- and at the very end, Z is for the names of three new baby goats just-born. If you know someone who loves or has goats, I think this book would be great, even if it is a toddler's alphabetical!

Rating: 4/5 ........ 32 pages, 2003

1 comment:

  1. I should get this for my mom - she had a pet goat when she was growing up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.