Jul 2, 2010

friday finds

I didn't add many new titles to my TBR lately (probably a good thing, seeing how long it is!). So these are my friday finds of the past two weeks.

Adventures Among Ants by Mark Moffett- I like to read books about animals, but I don't think I've ever read one about ants. So this book by an entomologist who traveled the world to photograph and study ants looks super interesting. I came across it because Caribousmom heard about it on NPR

Dogged Pursuit by Robert Rodi- Sounds like a fun read about a guy trying to train a troublesome rescued sheltie for agility trials. Caught my attention on the Stay at Home Bookworm's page.

The Long Song by Andrea Levy- I read about this one on The Black Sheep Dances. It's about slavery in Jamaica, spanning the time just before and after slavery was ended there. Looks like a very interesting story that examines all the complex emotions and relationships people had and how they changed (or didn't) when slavery there was made illegal.

Zan-Gah by Allan Shickman- For a YA book it sounds very well-written, and it's set in prehistoric times. I haven't read many but I do like these books that imagine how our earliest ancestors lived, survived and ultimately progressed. This one is about a young man who goes on a hunt against a fierce beast, then off on a journey to search for his missing brother. Found on Raging Bibliomania.

Purge by Sofi Oksanen- I've never read anything about Estonia, so this book caught my eye on a now-defunct blog. Softdrink says there are lots of details on Estonian crops and canning, which interests me, but the story is also about a girl who was held captive as a sex slave and I'm not sure I could handle reading about that. Still, I'm curious enough in reading about an entirely new-to-me country that I'll add it to my list.

Crow Planet by Lyanda Lynn Haupt- a book about crows, from Bookwyrme's Lair (a blog I've just discovered). Crows are so clever they really intrugue me, and the book has pen-and-ink illustrations! which I'd love to see.

What new titles have you come across recently, that you're itching to read?

11 comments:

  1. Dogged Pursuit looks really good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading about animals also, and Dogged Pursuit, sounds like it would be right up my alley of reading genres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crow Planet looks really interesting. Crows are such fascinating birds too. My husband is particularly enamored of them so perhaps you have just helped me with a present for his birthday at the end of the month :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- lots of interesting choices here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when other people do all the hard work and track down the cool titles! You have a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list :) I hope you'll read the ant book soon and review it so I can see what you think! Thanks for the linky love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have some really interesting picks. I just have one this week at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dusty is happy to *pawtograph* copies of dogged pursuit. woof!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you will really like Zan-Gah and will be very interested in hearing what you think of it! The Ant book looks fascinating as well, and I wanted to pick that one up after having read that same review! You got a lot of good stuff there over the past couple of weeks. I hope you enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7/02/2010

    The sex slave scenes are pretty graphic. Okay, very graphic. But, it's not the majority of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purge does look like a pretty interesting. I haven't heard of the rest but I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.