Feb 16, 2010

Dogeared progress

Well, here it is halfway into February and so far I've read three books for my own Dogeared challenge (to read used, old or worn-out books). The first tattered book I read was The Road, a copy I borrowed from my neighbor, who is none too gentle on his books. It had a lot of fanning, dogeared pages, the cover curled from being folding back around the book, the spine cracked and leaning. Animal Orphanage, a used copy retired from a library, had stamps all over the insides, the remains of a card pocket inside the back cover, and its dust jacket very faded and yellowed, with a shelf label half-torn off. Making Things Grow, another used copy, was in pretty good shape but had a lot of tears in the dust jacket (more than 1").

Anyone else read some worn-out books for this challenge?

5 comments:

  1. I keep wanting to - but my obsessive concern with taking care of my books means that I have no books that are really truly shabby. If only my big sister still lived at home! Her books are wrecked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first read tears as "tears", like the stuff that comes from your eyes. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny- I always take the best care I can of books I own, and especially those I borrow, but I do seem to acquire lots of shabby ones from the used bookshops.

    Bybee- Well, the poor book probably would be crying if it could!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/16/2010

    Hi Jeane, Count me in on this fun book challenge. I'm looking forward to picking up some books at a local library book sale. My next read is a very worn little bird encyclopedia. Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Leah! I look forward to seeing all the worn books you appreciate.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.