Nov 11, 2008

Briar Rose

by Jane Yolen

Jane Yolen's Briar Rose intertwines the story of Sleeping Beauty with that of the Holocaust. Its main character is Rebecca, who as a child always wanted to hear her grandmother's retellings of the fairy tale. On her deathbed, Gemma made a statement "I am Briar Rose" that haunts Rebecca. She's convinced that the story was not just a fairy tale, but a complex metaphor keeping alive the truth of her grandmother's past while masking its horror- that she was a Holocaust survivor. Rebecca sets off on a journey to Poland, seeking to uncover the secrets of Gemma's history- and finds out more than she ever expected.

Briar Rose is different than other Holocaust stories I've read. Besides the fact that it is wrapped up in a fairy tale and rooted in a modern setting that pivots back into the past, it also tells of one of the less famous concentration camps- Chelmno (a short afterward explains the facts behind the story, particularly about Chelmno). Gemma is Jewish, but the book also features other groups of people who suffered from the Holocaust, namely homosexuals. I wish this book had been more memorable for me. There are other books by Jane Yolen which I read more than four years ago and still recall the storyline and characters clearly. This one is rather blurry in my mind. I remember mostly that it was very sad. Looking it over again today, I almost want to set down what I'm currently reading and open Briar Rose. It's a book I really need to revisit for myself. I think this is one I would appreciate better as an adult.

Rating: 3/5                 . 241 pages, 1992

Read more opinions at:
Melody's Reading Corner
Small World Reads

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read this but never got around to it. I looks like I would probably enjoy it. Thanks for reminding me!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one. The blogger reviews I have read about it are similar to yours. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very sad. I hope you enjoy it more the second time around. I'm not sure if "enjoy" is the right word, actually, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onto the wishlist it goes. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/11/2008

    I thought this was interesting because of the fairy tale angle. Overall, I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of this book until recently (I think Nymeth was the first one I heard talk about it). I have it on the list--sounds really interesting. I hope you like it your second time around!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.