Aug 23, 2008

First Person Plural

My Life as a Multiple
by Cameron West

I thought this book looked interesting. Picked up from the same time and place (probably the same shelf even) as Aftershock. It's a firsthand account of a man suffering from dissociative personality disorder. He had twenty-four different personalities. I read almost sixty pages before the first suggestion of child abuse arose, that of incest. From his grandmother. I knew there was going to be more, and probably more graphic, descriptions of the incidents from his childhood and I just didn't want to read about that. It's too much for me. Plus, I was bored by all the descriptions - by brand name- of his expensive possessions and the flat, uninteresting writing style. Curious what others had said about this book, I looked at some of the Amazon reviews. This one describes it pretty well: "This book must contain the largest collection of bad metaphors ever published."

Abandoned                     319 pages, 1999

5 comments:

  1. It's really too bad this book was disappointing. It is an interesting premise. I've always found dissociative disorder interesting. I remember reading Sybil and another book (whose title eludes me at the moment), based on true stories about similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Sybil until I read those Amazon reviews- a lot of them mentioned Sybil as being a better book about similar subject. Perhaps I should go look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/25/2008

    I've not read Sybil, but I've seen the movie with Sally Field. It was years ago, but I remember it as being powerful.

    I'm with you -- I couldn't have finished this one. At least the title is clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/26/2008

    It's such a shame this book didn't work, the title alone seems very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes!! I agree with verbivore that the title makes the book seem like a compelling read. Poor guy probably could have used some help from a better editor...we're not all born writers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.